It felt odd.
You see, we have everything we need. We are done decorating and collecting. In fact, we have spent the last several months and countless Craigslist ads shedding furniture and lots of stuff. There were chairs at Ikea that looked exactly like one of the ones I just sold.
Except for a couple dozen boxes of things I weeded out for export, all of our things are in storage.
Our new place is fully furnished, stocked and decorated. No Pee Wee Herman toys, collections of swizzle sticks, or furniture from 3 sets of grandparents. Just hotel-style neutral decor with some grown-up affectations: an enormous vase with naked intertwined twigs, a wine refrigerator, a fancy outdoor barbecue.
I snuck in some things from home that I will find comforting in such a showroom-like setting. Framed family photos, good knives, a favorite pot I have used since college, and yes, a beloved tchotchke or two are all waiting to be unearthed next week when we finally get to unpack for good.
And those little gifts I packed will make all the difference in the world to me. I can't wait.
Either can I.
ReplyDelete